Crispy sugar cookies, chewy caramel filling, and rich chocolate ganache with flaky sea salt. These vegan Twix cookies are everything you love about Twix bars in cookie form!
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
For the sugar cookies:
- 1/4 cup salted vegan butter, softened
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespooons vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling the dough
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
For the caramel filling:
- 1/3 cup coconut nectar
- 3 tablespoons creamy salted cashew butter
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
For the chocolate ganache topping:
- ½ cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons plain non-dairy creamer
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- flaky sea salt for topping (optional)
- Make the sugar cookies: Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter, sugar, vegan cream cheese, and vanilla on high speed for 1-2 minutes, or until fluffy. Mix in the flour, baking soda and salt until just combined. The dough should be very thick.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator (it can also be refrigerated overnight). Once chilled, roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, lightly flouring the bottom piece of paper and top of the dough. The rolled dough should be about ¼-inch thick. Use a small cookie or biscuit cutter to cut it into 2 to 3 inch-sized circles, and arrange the cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Chill in the freezer for 10 minutes prior to baking to help them retain their shape.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350˚F. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until they just begin to turn a light golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies cool, make the caramel: Stir together the coconut nectar, cashew butter, and salt in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Make the chocolate ganache: Add the chocolate chips, non-dairy creamer and maple syrup to a small microwavable bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds intervals, then use a spatula to stir the mixture until the chocolate is fully melted. Let cool to room temperature.
- Assemble the twix cookies: Add a spoonful (about 1 heaping teaspoon) of caramel onto the center of the cookies. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of chocolate ganache on top of the caramel, then sprinkle with flaky sea salt (if using). Allow the chocolate to set before serving.