These vegan gingerbread bars are sweet, sticky, easy to make, and wonderfully festive.
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 30 minutes | Total Time 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup vegan butter melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fancy molasses
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Add the vegan butter to a large mixing bowl and melt it in the microwave. Set aside to cool.
- Make your flax egg and set aside at least 10 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350F, move the rack to the middle of the oven, and grease an 8×8 pan (I used cooking spray).
- Add the vanilla, sugar, and molasses to the mixing bowl with the butter in it. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, combine until the mixture is smooth (don’t over-mix).
- Mix in the flax egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl (flour, baking powder, ground spices, and salt), and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into your baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool on a cooling rack and do not cut the bars until the pan has fully cooled (at least an hour). Store bars in a cool place in an airtight container.
- If the bars sink in the middle a little bit, don’t worry – that’s quite normal for this type of recipe.
- Ground flaxseed is also labeled as flaxseed meal sometimes.
- Make sure you spoon & level the flour vs. scooping it so you don’t end up with too much.