Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows is the perfect combination of smooth and creamy sweet potatoes topped with a gooey layer of marshmallows. The marshmallows get a little crunchy around the edges and they are my favorite part.
Prep Time: 1 hour 5 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, about 5 medium
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (10-ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour or until tender. (Sweet potatoes sometimes ooze and make a mess in the oven. I cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up and place the sweet potatoes on it.)
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Let sweet potatoes cool some and then peel the skin off. Place peeled sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Transfer sweet potato mixture to a greased 11×7-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remover from oven and sprinkle marshmallows on top. Return to oven for 10 minutes.