Pimento Cheese Potato Gratin is a creamy potato dish southern-style. A layer of homemade pimento cheese is slathered between two layers of thinly sliced Yukon Gold potatoes for a super creamy and cheesy potato gratin. Whether it be a holiday meal or a Sunday supper, this potato side dish will be a welcome addition to the table.
Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimentos, drained
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place potato slices in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Add a few teaspoons of salt to the water. Simmer potatoes until slightly tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat. Add shallots and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir 1 cup of cheddar cheese into cream until it melts. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a casserole dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and pimentos, reserving a few of the pimentos to put on top of the casserole.
- Layer half of the potato slices on bottom of prepared casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread all of the cheddar/pimento mixture on top of bottom layer of potatoes.
- Layer remaining potatoes on top of pimento cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour cream mixture on top. Cover casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top along with reserved pimentos. Bake for 15 to 20 more minutes