These homemade chocolate Monster Eye Cookies are actually Halloween Thumbprint Cookies with candy eye decorations! Bring a batch or two to your next Halloween party— they’re festive, fun and totally delicious!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Wilton bright white candy melts
- Wilton vibrant green candy melts
- Wilton orange candy melts
- Wilton purple candy melts
- Wilton large red vein candy eyes
How to make Thumbprint Cookies for Halloween
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the butter and both sugars to a medium mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, cream together until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until incorporated.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Add the remaining half and stir until all of the ingredients are wet. The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Cover and chill for 15 minutes.
- Once chilled, remove from refrigerator. With greased hands, shape the cookie dough into 1 inch balls and place on the lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (depending on oven temperatures). Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2-3 minutes
- Using a small melon scoop or your thumb, press an indentation into the middle of each cookie.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to completely cool before serving.