An out-of-this-world Hazelnut Chocolate Baklava soaked in a cocoa nib and honey syrup. From the Sofra bakery cookbook, Soframiz!
Prep Time: 55 minutes | Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes | Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes
For the syrup:
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa nibs
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
For the filling:
- 1 pound whole blanched hazelnuts
- 12 ounces extra bittersweet chocolate (I used 84%), coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- About 9 oz / 12 sheets phyllo
- 12 oz melted clarified butter
- To make the syrup, combine the water, honey, sugar, cococa nibs, and cinnamon sticks in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Once boiling, lower the heat and keep at a low boil for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Strain; you should have 2 1/2 cups of syrup.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the filling, spread out the hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Bake until toasted, 12-15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly. Keep oven going at 350°F.
- Using a food processor, pulse the hazelnuts until finely ground. The texture should resemble tiny pebbles. Remove from food processor and place in a large bowl.
- In the same food processor, pulse the chocolate into similarly sized pieces to the hazelnuts. Remove from food processor and add to the bowl of chopped hazelnuts. Add in cinnamon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut the phyllo into 9″ X 13″ pieces, Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9″ X 13″ baking dish.
- Place one sheet of phyllo in the pan and somewhat generously butter the top using the melted clarified butter and a pastry brush. Repeat until you have 8 sheets of phyllo for the bottom layer.
- Spread 2 cups of hazelnut chocolate filling evenly over the phyllo. Layer and butter four sheets of phyllo.
- Again spread 2 cups of hazelnut chocolate filling evenly over the phyllo. Again layer and butter four sheets of phyllo.
- Spread the remaining hazelnut chocolate filling on top. Layer and butter ten sheets of phyllo for the top layer. Let sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes, so the butter solidifies a bit.
- Using a ruler, cut the baklava into 3″ X 3″ squares; this will leave a small amount at one end. Cut each square diagonally into two triangles.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes, then lower the temperature to 300°F and bake for an additional 45-50 minutes, until golden brown and the top layers of phyllo appear separated.
- Remove from oven and ladle the cocoa nib and honey syrup evenly over the hot baklava. Set aside to cool for at least 2 hours, preferably 3-4.
- Remove the baklava by carefully sliding a thin spatula down and under the sides of the pan. ENJOY!