These easy rum balls are vegan, gluten-free, and make a fun little no-bake treat that’s perfect for the holidays.
Prep Time 40 minutes | Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1-2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2-3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3/4 cup water
- Whisk together the dry filling ingredients in a medium bowl (the coconut flour, cocoa powder, and the sugar) then stir the wet ones (vanilla, maple syrup, rum, water) in. Stir until you’ve got a smooth mixture and pop the bowl in the fridge.
- The walnuts need to be in really small pieces. You can either chop them up in a food processor (but don’t totally pulverize them) or put them in a Ziploc and smash them with a rolling pin.
- Form the filling into balls. I find smaller balls work a lot better for this recipe… I aimed for 3/4″-1″ balls.
- Melt the chocolate. I do this in 15 second intervals in the microwave (note: it’s really easy to burn dairy-free chocolate so do it very carefully or use a double boiler). I suggest starting with one cup and melting more if/when you run out so you don’t waste it.
- Dip the balls in the chocolate and then gently roll them in the walnuts. This process can get a little messy, so just have fun with it. Add the finished balls to a plate or baking sheet. Once they’re all done, pop them in the freezer for about 20 minutes to set. Once they’ve set, I suggest keeping them in a sealed container in the fridge and taking them out just prior to serving.
- Please check to ensure the chocolate and rum you use are gluten-free as not all varieties are if you have a gluten sensitivity.