These rich, soft, and moist pumpkin brownies will make a perfect treat for the fall season. Luscious dark chocolate pumpkin brownies are topped with smooth, creamy pumpkin cream cheese frosting.
Prep Time : 15 minutes | Cook Time : 40 minutes | Total Time : 55 minutes | Calories : 639 kcal
- 12 oz unsalted butter
- 2 oz dark chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter, and then add chocolate chips, vanilla, and brown sugar. Keep stirring with a silicone-covered whisk until melted and smooth. Take off heat.
- Transfer the mixture into a large mixing bowl. Whisk slowly and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- Whisk in buttermilk until combined.
- Whisk in eggs until combined and smooth.
- Whisk in pumpkin puree until smooth.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until all smooth and all incorporated.
- Pour mixture into the 9×13 baking dish, spreading evenly. Gently tap on the counter a couple of times to make sure it’s spread evenly. Bake for 40-42 minutes.*Tip: bake brownies for about 5 less minutes if you want them gooey.
- Make sure that brownies are completely cooled before adding frosting or you will melt the frosting.
- Beat butter in a bowl of an electric mixer, on medium-high speed, for about a minute, until light and fluffy. Add cream cheese, and beat on medium-high speed, until smooth, 1–2 minutes.
- Scrape bottom and sides of the bowl, and add pumpkin puree. Beat for a couple more minutes.
- Lower speed to low and beat in powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- Turn up the speed back to medium-high and beat 3–4 minutes, until the frosting is light, smooth, and fluffy.
- Refrigerate 15–20 minutes before spreading over brownies.
- Spread frosting all over cooled brownies.
- Store brownies in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese frosting.