Edible sugar cookie dough is a fun and easy dessert to make for Christmas! This eggless recipe uses heat-treated flour so it is safe to eat for everyone!
Prep Time 30 minutes | Total Time 30 minutes
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup (170 g or 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (60 g) confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (I used low-fat, but skim and whole work just as well)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup holiday sprinkles
- First, pasteurize the flour.¹ Preheat oven to 350° F. Spread flour on a 9×13 baking sheet or Silpat, and bake for about 5 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Whisk the flour and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer (or using a hand mixer), mix the butter, granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla and mix until combined. Slowly add in flour mixture and stir until smooth.²
- Fold in the sprinkles or other favorite mix-ins. Using a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop tablespoonfuls of dough on to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes and serve.³
¹ Baking the flour in the oven kills off any harmful bacteria.
² If the consistency is too thick, add another tablespoon of milk.
³ Cookie dough should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.