These Easy Witch’s Hat Cupcakes are one of the most perfect Halloween treats. They’re festive and fun; plus they’re incredibly easy to make. My Easy Witch’s Hat Cupcakes start with a fluffy, moist homemade vanilla cupcake recipe, but if you want to make these Halloween cupcakes even easier, you can grab your favorite box mix and ready made frosting. Anyone and everyone who loves the Halloween spirit will fall in love with these Easy Witch’s Hat Cupcakes!
Serves: 15 standard cupcakes | Prep time: 20 mins | Cook time: 14 mins | Total time: 34 mins
For the Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- 1¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup canola oil (or any neutral tasting oil)
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp vinegar
For the Vanilla Frosting:
- 2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp heavy cream or whole milk
To Assemble the Cupcakes
- 15 chocolate sugar cones
- 15 chocolate wafer cookies
- ⅛ cup chopped chocolate or chocolate chips
- Green food color (I used electric green by AmeriColor)
- Yellow food color (I used egg yellow by AmeriColor)
- Purple Food Color (I used electric purple by AmeriColor)
- Zip top bags for piping decorations
- A piping bag fitted with a tip of your choice for the green frosting
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mix the milk and vinegar in a liquid measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy and lighter in color (about 2 or 3 minutes)
- Add the vanilla and oil. Whisk for a minute or two.
- Slowly add ¾ of a cup of sugar, while constantly whisking.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Add ½ of the milk mixture. Mix until combined.
- Repeat until all of the dry and wet ingredients are combined. (The batter will be very thin.)
- Fill each cupcake liner about ½ full.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the center of the cupcake springs back when gently pressed.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the cupcake tin for about 5 minutes. Then turn the cupcakes on to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the Vanilla Frosting:
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until creamy.
- Add the sugar, and beat until fluffy.
- Add the salt and vanilla. Beat until just combined.
- Add the cream, and beat until fluffy.
To Assemble the Cupcakes:
- Melt the chocolate chips.
- Place the melted chocolate in a zip top bag, and snip the corner of the bag.
- Pipe a thin line of chocolate along the edge of the chocolate sugar cone. Immediately place the cone on top of a chocolate wafer cookie. Set on a parchment lined sheet pan to cool. Repeat with all cones.
- Once cones are attached to the wafers, place the tray in the fridge to cool.
- While the cones are chilling, take about 3 tbs of frosting and tint purple. Place the frosting in a zip top bag and snip the corner to make a piping bag.
- Use the exact some process to make a bag of yellow frosting.
- Tint the remaining frosting bright green.
- Fill your piping bag fitted with a tip of your choice.
- Remove the witches hats from the refrigerator.
- Pipe a wide band of purple frosting along the edge of where the cone meets the chocolate wafer.
- Using the yellow frosting, pipe a small square in the middle of each purple band. Set aside.
- Using the green frosting, pipe a healthy dollop of frosting on the top of each cupcake.
- Place one witch’s hat on top of each cupcake.