This black bean soup recipe is healthy, simple to make, and quick (it uses canned beans). Eat it as-is or load it up with your favorite toppings!
Prep Time 10 minutes | Cook Time 20 minutes | Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14 fluid ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes with juices
- 3 (14 fluid ounce) cans black beans drained & rinsed
- 1 (4 fluid ounce) can diced green chilies with juices
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garnish (optional): chopped cilantro (recommended), sour cream, tortilla strips, avocado, etc.
- Add the oil and onion to a soup pot and sauté it over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, followed by the broth, diced tomatoes, beans, green chilies, red pepper, and spices.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Cover the pan with the lid slightly ajar, reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Using either an immersion blender or a regular blender, blend most of the soup (use caution – you may want to let it cool a bit first). You can blend it all, but I like to leave some whole beans in there for texture.
- Stir in the lime juice, and season with salt & pepper a needed (I found that I needed to add a fair amount of salt).
- Serve as-is or with desired toppings.
- This recipe serves 4, but it’s easy to double all the ingredients if you need extras (just make sure to use a decent size pot).
- Want to make this a spicy black bean soup? Add in 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or use spicy green chilies (I used mild ones).