This classic sweet potato casserole recipe is the ultimate Thanksgiving side dish! The marshmallow-pecan topping is crunchy and satisfying.
Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 25 minutes | Total Time 40 minutes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes mashed
- 1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (or more, to taste)
- If you haven’t already prepared your mashed sweet potatoes, start by scrubbing them and then 1) Add them to a large pot of water. Boil until very tender, drain them, and let them cool for a few minutes. Or, 2) Bake them in the oven if you prefer (prick them all over and roast them at 425F until tender).
- Preheat the oven to 375F and move the rack to the middle position. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Let the sweet potatoes cool slightly, then peel them and mash them with the brown sugar, butter, cream, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Ensure that they’re well mashed and that the other ingredients are distributed evenly (e.g. no clumps of cinnamon).
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into the greased baking dish. Spread it in an even layer.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the chopped pecans and the mini marshmallows.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the marshmallows are nice and golden. Watch it carefully towards the end so they don’t burn (some ovens are hotter than others).
- The results are better when you boil or bake the sweet potatoes in their skins, so look for smaller sweet potatoes to make this process easier and faster.
- Cooking time does not include the time it takes to cook the mashed sweet potatoes (this will vary depending on the method you choose and how big your sweet potatoes are).
- Serves 6-8 depending on how much people eat.
- See the blog post for tips on how to make this recipe ahead.