This simple mint julep recipe is fast, refreshing, and delicious! The Kentucky Derby’s signature cocktail is perfect for cooling off all summer. Ready in 5 minutes!
Prep Time 5 minutes | Total Time 5 minutes
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 ounce simple syrup (see note on how to make it)
- 1 ounce Kentucky bourbon
- Club soda for topping up
- Crushed or shaved ice
- In a glass, add the mint leaves. Tear any large leaves in half.
- Pour in your simple syrup.
- Muddle the leaves in the glass to release the mint flavor. The muddling takes a good 2-3 minutes. I used a pestle to do this since I couldn’t find my cocktail muddler.
- Fill the glass with the crushed ice almost to the top.
- Add in your favorite Kentucky bourbon.
- Top up with club soda; stir to mix everything together. Garnish with a sprig of mint and enjoy!
- This recipe is for a 6 ounce glass. If you’re using a 9 ounce glass, use 1.5 ounces simple syrup and 1.5 ounces bourbon.
- How to make simple syrup: Add equal parts sugar and water to a small pan (I did 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water – it makes plenty of syrup). Boil until dissolved; let it cool and transfer to a sealed container (e.g. mason jar) and store in the fridge for up to about a month.