These homemade marzipan Christmas treats are cute, easy to make, and are a tasty and unique holiday sweet. Perfect for your cookie exchange or a homemade gift!
Prep Time 45 minutes | Total Time 45 minutes
- 1.5 cups almond meal/flour
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Red gel food coloring
- Green gel food coloring
- In a food processor, pulse the almond meal/four and powdered sugar until they’re mixed together.
- Add the egg white, almond extract, and rose water to the food processor. Process until a ball of marzipan (it will look like dough) is formed.
- Remove the marzipan and place onto your work surface. Knead it a few times (you may need to add some powdered sugar because it’ll be sticky), and then divide it into 3 balls if you plan on coloring it. Place 2 of the balls each into a small bowl. Add the food coloring and stir it in until it’s mixed in evenly. Form each color of marzipan into a ball (you’ll likely need to add icing sugar to do this).
- Work with each ball of marzipan at a time. Roll each ball out, cut out shapes, and then repeat until all the marzipan is used.
- If your egg whites are pretty fresh, marzipan should last at least a week (if not a few weeks) if kept in a sealed container in the fridge.
- Yield depends on how thick you cut the shapes out. Recipe makes about 12 ounces of marzipan.Making the marzipan is easy – it only takes about 5-10 minutes. It’s rolling out the shapes that takes the bulk of the time.
- You can make the marzipan ahead of time and store it in the fridge (cling wrap or a sealed container). Let it soften prior to rolling it out.