These chipotle tilapia fish tacos are easy to make and packed with fresh flavor. The chipotle cilantro lime sauce is out of this world!
Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 10 minutes | Marinade time 30 minutes | Total Time 55 minutes
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 8-10 flour or corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper (optional)
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- Chipotle ranch dressing to taste
- 1/4 red cabbage shredded
- 1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can of sweet corn drained
- 2-3 scallions (green parts) chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the fish and marinade ingredients in a large Zip-Loc bag and then place in the fridge for 30 minutes or up to three hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chipotle cilanto lime ranch dressing if you haven’t already (recipe here).
- When you’re almost finished marinading the fish, pre-heat over to 350F and wrap your tacos in foil. You can warm them while you’re preparing the rest of the dish.
- Prepare the coleslaw by mixing your red cabbage, corn, scallions, lime juice, olive oil, and salt & pepper. Set aside.
- You can cook the tilapia a couple of different ways. I cooked mine on the BBQ (med. high heat, approx. 4 min. on each side), but it didn’t taste drastically different or better than just frying it for a few minutes on each side (depending on thickness). When the fish is ready, it should easily flake with a fork.
- Assemble tacos by adding the cabbage slaw, flaked fish, and chipotle dressing. Serve with extra lime wedges if desired.
- You can increase the spice level by either making the chipotle ranch dressing spicier (add more adobo sauce/chilis) or by adding some chipotle chili pepper or chili powder to the tilapia marinade.