Mashed Potato Casserole. The creamiest, cheesiest mashed potatoes EVER! This easy to make side dish is loaded up with extra melty cheese, crispy bacon, and chives. The best part? You can make this dish ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven to heat back up! This dish will end up being the highlight of any meal!
Prep Time: 15 minutes | cook Time: 40 minutes | Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 7 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 5 strips bacon cooked
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and chop the potatoes. Add to a large pot. Cover with water and heat over high heat, boil the potatoes in the water about 20 minutes or until softened.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the potatoes and add to a large mixing bowl. Add the butter, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, and salt. Mix with a potato masher or for creamier potatoes use a hand or stand mixer.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and stir to combine.
- Spray a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon the potato mixture into the dish. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon.
- In a small saucepan add the tablespoon of butter and the panko bread crumbs. Cook over medium heat until just toasted. Sprinkle on top of the potatoes.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for about 15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Top with bacon and chives. Serve warm and enjoy!