This vegan sweet potato curry recipe is loaded with good stuff including red lentils, chickpeas, oodles of sweet potatoes, and a vibrant blend of spices. This vegan curry is easily made in the slow cooker.
Prep Time 20 minutes | Cook Time 8 hours | Total Time 8 hours 20 minutes
- 1 medium to large sweet potato cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 (19 fluid ounce) can chickpeas drained
- 1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Naan bread (optional)
- Prepare your sweet potato (I didn’t peel it, but feel free to – there’s lots of nutrients in the skin) and onion.
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker (you may want to go easy on salt & pepper until after it’s cooked, then season to taste). Give it a good stir then cook on low for 6-8 hours. The photos pictured show what it looks like after 5-6 hours of cooking. The full 8 hours makes it more of a thicker stew consistency because the sweet potatoes release more of their starch.
- Serve with freshly chopped cilantro and naan bread (optional). Makes great leftovers!
- I haven’t tried cooking it on high, but I would give it 3-4 hours.
- This is the 7-quart Crockpot that I use.
- Stove top cooking tips: Sauté the onion in a large pot in about a tablespoon of olive oil until it’s lightly browned. Add the remaining ingredients, bring it to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer with the lid slightly ajar. Test the tenderness of the veggies after about 30-45 minutes. You may need to cook it longer. Cooking time will vary depending on size of pot and other factors. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.