6 servings | Prep Time: 10 mins | Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- 1/2 c.
- uncooked rice 2 tbsp.
- extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling 1
- medium onion, chopped 1 tbsp.
- tomato paste 3
- cloves garlic, minced 1 lb.
- ground beef 1
- (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes 1 tsp.
- dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper 6
- bell peppers, tops and cores removed 1 c.
- shredded Monterey jack
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan, prepare rice according to package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Cook onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet, then stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a 9″-x-13″ baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper and top with Monterey jack, then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly, 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.