Tender fall apart chunks of beef simmered in a rich red wine gravy makes Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon an incredible family dinner. Slow Cooker, Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker, Stove Top and the traditional Oven method included! Easy to make, every step is worth it.
Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 3 hrs | Calories: 673kcal
- 1 tbsp olive oil8 slices bacon thick cut, chopped
- 3 lbs stewing beef lean, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lb pearl onions peeled
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper ground, or to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb mushrooms chopped
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth low sodium or no sodium added
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp thyme fresh
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or a heavy based pot that’s oven safe. Add the bacon and cook until crispy. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined bowl and set aside.
- Add the stewing beef in batches and brown well on all sides. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining beef. I did 3 batches, but depends on the size of your pot.
- Add the chopped onion, carrot, pearl onions and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are tender and translucent.
- Stir in the mushrooms then sprinkle the flour over. Stir and let it cook for another 2 minutes. Add the beef and bacon back to the pot.
- Add the red wine, beef broth, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme and stir. Bring to a boil.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F degrees while you’re bringing the stew to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a lid, place in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours stirring every hour.
- Serve over cooked noodles